Here is my third project for the January Creative Crew challenges. For this challenge we were to make a card or a décor item using hearts in a way that was NEW to us. I decided to use hearts to make a kid-friendly Valentine swivel card. When you turn the scallop circle at the bottom of the card, the heart moves back and forth. If you would like to make many of these cards, you can get this size card in a 20 pack of the Whisper White note cards with envelopes (item#107311). This card is NOT hard to make once you’ve created a template for yourself. If you would like to make your own Swivel card, please see my tutorial below.
Swivel Card Tutorial
1. To make this card, I will show you how to make a template to use over and over again. Start with a scrap piece of card stock 5” x 3-½”. On one of the 5” edges, find the halfway mark and make a pencil line extending 2” up.
2. Along this pencil line, make a mark 3/8”, 7/8”, and 1-½” from the edge.
3. Use the 1-3/4” Circle Punch, to make a centered semi-circle opening 3/8” in from the edge of the card stock (where you previously made the 3/8” mark). Note: my photo shows an old style punch.
4. Use the piercer, to make a hole 7/8” in from the edge of the card stock.
5. Use the Word Window Punch to make a centered slot with the furthest edge at the 1-½” mark. Make sure that the slot does NOT go beyond the 1-½” mark OR it will be visible on the card front. Write the word “BACK” on the side with the pencil marks. Why write the word back on your template? This will ensure you always use the same side of your template for your card base and your cover piece to counteract any slight deviations from centering your punches. Your template is now complete.
6. With a pencil, trace the Word Window slot, the pierced mark and the semi-circle onto the INSIDE edge of a 5” x 3-½” Whisper White card base (or a 7” x 5” piece of Whisper White, scored on the long side at 3-½” and folded).
7. Use the pencil marks as guides to punch and pierce the card as indicated.
8. Punch a 1-¾” scallop circle. To find the mid-point of the circle draw two pencil lines across the middle of the scallop circle. Where the pencil lines intersect pierce a hole.
9. Attach the scallop circle to the inside of the card using a brad. The knob end of the brad will be on the inside of the card. The brad legs will be on the front.
10. Cut a 2-½” x ½” strip of window sheet. On one end place a small piece of sticky strip. You can barely see the almost transparent window sheet strip on the right hand side of the photo.
11. Remove the sticky strip liner and feed the sticky end face down through the word window slot and adhere just slightly above the brad. The window sheet is difficult to see. Look for it in the center of the card.
12. Cut a 1-½” x 5” piece of designer series paper or card to cover the mechanism. On the back of this piece trace the semi-circle on to one of the 5” edges.
13. Punch with the 1-¾” Circle Punch. Put adhesive on the back of the paper along the bottom edge and the sides only.
14. Remove adhesive liner and adhere to the front of the card.
15. Decorate the rest of the card as desired. Hints: Stamp the critters FIRST using a stamp-a-ma-jig for alignment. I stamped the dog and cat in Soft Suede ink and then carefully colored in the image with markers. The window sheet strip is longer than you need so that you can play with the placement of the heart (use temporary adhesive until you are happy). Be sure to check both swivel ends and the middle to make sure the heart looks good from all angles. Then adhere your heart with permanent adhesive and cut off the excess window sheet.
Supplies: Stamp Sets: Teeny Tiny Wishes, Every Little Bit; Paper: Twitterpated DSP; Card Stock: Soft Suede, Blushing Bride, Whisper White; Window Sheets; Ink: Soft Suede, Blushing Bride; Markers: Sahara Sand, Blushing Bride; Punches: Word Window, 1-3/4” Circle, 1-3/4” Scallop Circle; Piercer; Embossing powder: White & Iridescent Ice; Embossing Buddy; Heat Tool; Big Shot; Adorning Accents Edgelits Dies & Folders; Fashionable Hearts Embosslits; Pink Pirouette 3/8” Taffeta; Pearl Jewel; Silver Brad.
Shop online anytime, just click HERE.
Thanks for visiting!! I love reading your comments!!