I designed these mini explosion box purses for the Creative Crew “favorite holiday plus favorite accessory” challenge. You can probably guess from the photo that I had trouble choosing a favorite holiday. My latest favorite accessory are the Framelits dies. These mini explosion box purses are a smaller version of the large explosion box purses that are made out of a full sheet of 12” x 12”. These mini purses are made out of a 6” x 6” sheet with a finished base size of 2” x 2” making it the perfect size for a favor or place card holder. For a tutorial, please see below.
Want to play along? Here are the challenge deets:
CCREW0212HF, CreativeCrew, SUO or SUM — Holiday focus: What holiday do you love the most? What’s your favorite accessory? Combine the two in a project. This can be anything, it doesn’t have to be Valentines or any particular day, it could be your favorite season, something silly and goofy, or a particular tradition you have.
To view the challenge gallery and to upload your challenges CLICK HERE!
Mini Explosion Box Purse Tutorial
Step One: Explosion Box Purse Base
1. Start with a piece of 6” x 6” designer series paper. Score on one side at 2” and 4”.
2. Turn paper one quarter turn, and score at 2” and 4”.
3. Line up your square diagonally on the 6” score line. Score from the top corner to the first intersection and from the bottom corner to the first intersection. In other words score the corner boxes on the diagonal, but not the center box. TIP: Darken your 6” score groove with a fine tip permanent black sharpie. This will enable you to see the line better for “lining up” purposes. REPEAT for the other diagonal.
4. With a pencil, mark the 3” mark on one of the sides of the square. On the opposite side, also mark the square at the 3” mark.
5. Line up the 3” mark with one of the corners on the opposite side. Score from the 3” mark to the first intersection of the score lines. NOTE: You are only scoring the first square. You are NOT scoring all the way down to the corner. Now line up the same 3” mark with the other opposite corner. Score from the 3” mark to the first intersection of the score lines. Now repeat both scores for the other side. For this step you will be making FOUR separate scores.
6. Cut off all four corners on the diagonal. Cut from 2” in to 2” in.
7. Fold in along all score lines. Set aside.
Step Eight: Explosion Box Purse Top
8. Cut a coordinating piece of textured card stock with the second smallest label from the labels collections Framelits. Score piece from point to point.
9 With a Crop-a-dile, punch two small holes along the score mark ¼” in from the side.
10. Place two small pieces of sticky strip on the inside of the flap just below the holes.
11. Remove the Sticky Strip liner. Feed a 6” length through both holes. Secure the ends of the ribbon on the sticky strip.
12. Place sticky strip on ribbon side of the inside of the flap.
13. Remove the sticky strip liner. Adhere the flap to the purse base. Make sure you line up your project properly before adhering. The gussets (v folds) should be on the sides.
14. Place a Velcro coin on the inside of the purse flap. TIP: I like to use clear 5/8” Velcro coins. These Velcro coins are thinner than the ones that I have previously used. They are not quite “clear” as the name suggests, but they do make for a nice closure.
15. Decorate the rest of the purse as desired.
Need more help with this project? Check out my Full Size Explosion Box Purse Tutorial for a different set of diagrams for cutting and scoring this project.
Stampin’ Up! Supplies: Stamp Set: Teeny Tiny Wishes; Paper: 2011-2013 In-color Patterns Designer Series, Elegant Eggplant Textured, Always Artichoke Textured, Riding Hood Red Textured; Ink: Versamark, Elegant Eggplant, Always Artichoke, Riding Hood Red; Big Shot; Labels Collection Framelits; Beautiful Wings Embosslit; Fashionable Hearts Embosslit; Rhinestone Jewels; 3/8” Ruffled Ribbon: Wisteria Wonder, Lucky Limeade, Calypso Coral; Heat Tool, Embossing Powder: Iridescent Ice, White; Simply Scored; Sponge Daubers, Sticky Strip.
Other Supplies: 5/8” Clear Velcro coins
Shop Stampin’ Up! online anytime, just click HERE.
Thanks for visiting!! I love reading your comments!!