PLEASE NOTE: There is an updated version of this tutorial HERE.
By popular request, I was asked if I could make my Hershey’s Christmas Tree into a heart. I played around with the shape a bit and here is what I came up with. Thanks to R.V. for supplying me with kisses to play with. I had completely depleted my supply. Make sure you have 12” x 12” card stock on hand if you would like to make this heart. I needed the extra inch to make the design work. If you would like to make my Hershey’s Kisses Hearts, just follow my step-by-step tutorial below.
Hershey Kisses Valentine’s Heart Tutorial
1. Start with a 12” x 2” piece of card stock. On the long side, score at 3/8”, 1-5/8”, 6”, 10-3/8” and 11-5/8”.
2. On the short side, score at 1”.
3. Squeeze some multipurpose liquid glue lengthwise along the strip.
4. Fold the strip in half lengthwise and use your bone folder to burnish the strip.
5. To create the interlocking slots, on the 1-5/8” mark, cut along either side of the score mark halfway down. On the 10-3/8” mark, cut along either side of the score mark halfway up. The slots you cut should be about 1/16” wide. Nip off the strips with your scissors.
6. Draw a pencil line at the 5” and 7” marks.
7. Place sticky strip on the end tabs.
8. Fold the strip at the 6” score mark.
9. Use your bone folder to slightly curl the strip starting from just above the pencil line to the slot on both sides.
10. This is how your strip will look after you have curled both sides.
11. Bend both end tabs back.
12. Remove the sticky strip liners. Bend the right side of the heart towards the left side, adhering the tab to the left side. The score line next to the tab should line up with the pencil mark.
13. Now bend the left side over, making sure to interlock the slots.
14. Adhere the left tab to the right side making sure that the score mark lines up with the pencil mark.
15. For the insert pieces, start with a 5” x 3” piece of card stock. On the 5” side, score at 1”, 2”, 3” and 4”.
16. On the 3” side cut into one inch strips.
17. Bend all three strips into a double triangle as shown.
18. Place the three strips into the heart in the open spaces.
19. Pop six Hershey’s kisses into the frame.
20. Decorate the rest of the heart as desired. I used ¼” Basic Gray strips, the Small Heart Punch (117193) and the tree from the Merry Minis Punch Pack (126882) to create my faux arrow.
Time Saver Step One
Time Saver Step 1. Begin with a 12” x 12” piece of card stock. On one side, score at 3/8”, 1-5/8”, 6”, 10-3/8” and 11-5/8”.
Time Saver Step Two
Time Saver Step 2. On the other side, score at 1”, 3”, 5”, 7”, 9” and 11”. Also on this side, cut the card stock into 2” strips. You should now have enough outer frame pieces to create SIX hearts.
Time Saver Step Fifteen-Sixteen
Time Saver Step 15.-16. Begin with a 8” x 5” piece of card stock. On the 5” side, score at 1”, 2”, 3” and 4”. On the 8” side cut the card stock into one-inch strips. This will give you EIGHT insert strips. You need THREE strips for each heart. You could also do this time saver step with a 12” x 5” piece or a 11” x 5” piece. Just score on the 5” side and cut into one-inch strips on the other side.
Stampin’ Up Supplies:
Shop Stampin’ Up! online anytime, just click HERE.
Thanks for visiting!! I love reading your comments!!
Cindy Fodor says
thank you! Amazing!